Educating the public and related professionals about all aspects of clutter, hoarding, and chronic disorganization is a passion of mine. The more professionals are educated about these issues, the more efficiently and effectively help can be given to those who need it.
Training for Fire Departments
After working with the Lexington, KY Fire Department, I developed a training program specifically geared toward firefighters and paramedics in small and rural communities. This program provides these community fire departments with tools and resources to effectively deal with hoarding residents when there are no existing social or government programs available to help.
Read more about the training program on hoarding for fire departments.
I am most often asked to speak to groups on subjects related to hoarding. I specialize in educating civic and state agencies about how to handle hoarding residents and what strategies are most effective for these residents with special needs. I have also been asked to speak at conferences discussing housing, mental health, and aging.
Inquire about having Shanna speak and your training session or conference.
- Understanding and Assessing Residential Clutter and Hoarding (scheduled). Barren River Mental Health and Aging Conference; one hour; Bowling Green, Ky; October 2014
- Understanding and Assessing Residential Clutter and Hoarding / Strategies for Helping Residents Who Hoard (scheduled). Kentucky Housing Association (KHA) Annual Conference; three hours; Covington, Ky; September 2014
- Strategies for Helping Residents Who Hoard. Empowering Mindfulness; Conference on Aging; Sponsored by the Bluegrass Mental Health and Aging/Elder Abuse Prevention Coalition; 90 minutes; Winchester, Ky; June 2014
- Understanding & Assessing Hoarding and Chronic Disorganization Behaviors. Ky Housing Management Conference; 90 minutes; Louisville, Ky; May 2014
- Introduction to Hoarding for First Responders. Guest Speaker, adjunct to Level II Fire Inspector Certification Course; 84th Annual Kentucky State Fire School & Kentucky Office of Homeland Security Conference; 90 minutes; Lexington, Ky; June 2013
- Understanding Hoarding in the Elderly. Empowering Mindfulness; Mental Health & Aging Conference; Sponsored by the Bluegrass Mental Health and Aging/Elder Abuse Prevention Coalition; 90 minutes; Winchester, Ky; June 2013
- Cutting through Clutter Confusion: Understanding the Differences between Chronic Disorganization, Hoarding, and OCD. CE In-Service Training for LFUCG Department of Social Services; 90 minutes; Lexington, Ky; March 2013
- Introduction to Hoarding for First Responders. CE Paramedic In-Service Training; Lexington Fire Dept; 12 Sessions at one hour; Lexington, Ky; February 2013
- Introduction to Hoarding. In-service training for LFUCG Code Enforcement Dept. (incl. police and fire dept. personnel); one hour; Lexington, Ky; March 2012